Tuesday 23 August 2022

Trew joy

I'm an early riser and, on Saturday morning, I decided to go for a walk. I was staying with my brother and his partner in the village of Carleen, near Helston. My walk would take me across country to the neighbouring village of Trew where I'd been told there was a display of sculpture. 

The walk was very nice through narrow leafy lanes, which ended at a curious house decorated with floats and buoys. From that point on the lane became little more than a dirt track and I strolled on past fields of cows and the back gates of farms. The path was now too narrow for cars.
After about half a mile the path started to take me up a hill and onto the start (or end) of a tarmac covered road. Houses began to appear and, all of a sudden, I was in Trew. 

It's a tiny place with just a handful of houses. But it does have a sort of village green. And standing there were some really very nice sculptures.
It's all the work of one man - David C P Harrison. I can't tell you much about the man other than the fact he lives in the village and has some more artworks in his garden. But I can tell you about some of the art.

This piece, called The Tinner's Wheal, incorporates a moebius ring to symbolise the endless daily toil of the Cornish tin miners.
This one, called Settling their Differences, is a representation of two miners in granite who obviously do not see eye to eye. Apparently, Trew Green was a common location for these kinds of scuffles. And the area does sit on one of Cornwall's richest tin seams. There were once a number of profitable mines in the vicinity.
And this one is called Miss Fitt and was created in appreciation for key workers who are all too often overlooked and under-appreciated.
The other sculptures on display have no descriptions but they are very nicely made with some interesting forms.
I love the fact that this display is in a tiny village out in the country and the chances of coming across it by accident are fairly slim. 

But what a treat if you do. 

David C P Harrison's website is here.


No comments:

Post a Comment