Wednesday 16 November 2022

Leaf of the day - Day 16

A Copper Beech leaf I found yesterday.
Curiously, it was seeing a leaf in a similar state of 'disrepair' some 20-odd years ago that inspired me to design a brooch.
I then had a jeweller friend of mine, the talented Neil Fullard, make it for me in silver. It's a combination of many natural forms blended together.

It needs a good polish, mind. 


The brooch was my second foray into the world of jewellery design. The first was my wedding ring in 2000 (also in the photo). For that I also looked to Nature and organic shapes. 

The captured stone - a black sapphire - was inspired by a hagstone (for more about them, see here) I once found and still have. The final ring was made from platinum.

Here's the hagstone with its 'captured' pebble.
Nature can't make art because art is a conscious act ... but it can inspire it.

In fact, most of my favourite artists take their cue from natural forms be they Henry Moore, Dame Barbara Hepworth, album cover artist Roger Dean, land artist Andy Goldsworthy or sculptor Tony Cragg. 

Even as something as simple as a tatty insect-nibbled leaf can be the springboard to great things.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment