Saturday 26 November 2022

The Eccentric Club's 132nd Annual Dinner

Yesterday evening I hopped on a train into London for this wonderful annual event - postponed for a couple of years due to Covid. It was lovely to see old friends and to make a few new ones. 

As it was a fairly pleasant evening I walked from Marylebone Station to Mayfair and the clubhouse in Brook Street.  London was looking pretty for Christmas though the decorations in Oxford Street seemed less extravagant than in previous years. Energy costs maybe?
I was somewhat bemused by the words LET CHANG displayed on a building nearby to Selfridges. And so was the crowd of people staring at it in puzzlement. It was only when I checked my photos next day in daylight that I realised what had happened.

Perhaps the full message should have been 'Let's change the bulbs'.
True to its eccentric nature, the Eccentric Club doesn't have its own premises but is permitted to use many others all over the UK and overseas. Tonight's meal was in the Elgar Room of the rather splendid Savile Club. It's a grand old building ranged over several floors and rich in décor, antiques, fascinating artwork and portraits. The grand staircase is a thing of beauty.
I won't go into the history of the Eccentric Club here because I've already done that in a previous post (here). Suffice to say a glorious time was had by all - writers, artists, inventors, environmentalists, poets, opera singers and all. And a splendid meal was followed by many celebratory drinks and some great jazz. Roll on next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment