Thursday 15 June 2023

Midsummer update

It's midsummer very soon and the meadows where I walk most days are splendidly high. I can't help noticing a lack of insects though. It's still slightly early for grasshoppers and crickets but I'd be expecting a lot more butterflies, moths, flies, bees and wasps in mid-June. The usual suspects - farming practices, climate change, pesticides, loss of habitat etc. - are being blamed and they are all undoubtedly factors. The climate, in particular, has been chalenging as we had a drought last year followed by a mild winter and then a sudden cold snap that gave us snow in March after a few insects had emerged. Remember 'The Beast from the East?' 


The grasses are high but very dry, meanwhile. We've not had very much rain in the past month and daily temperatures are anything between 24 and 31 degrees celsius. That said, the baby acorns are coming on nicely. And I spotted my first summer mushroom - I'm not sure what it is but, as it's all alone, I reckon I'll leave it to spore before I risk damaging it to examine the stem and underside. Identification can wait. 
The soaring day time temperatures mean that I've been walking mostly in late evening, usually around dusk. But I've been enjoying the sunsets and that wonderful quality of light you get during 'the golden hour' just before the sun dips below the horizon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment