Friday 11 August 2023

Another year ...

When I was a young lad anyone over 60 was old. At least, that's how I saw them. Now, it must be said that people worked harder back then - longer hours and a lot more physical effort - so maybe that wore people's bodies out more quickly. 

I mention this because I'm 62 today and most of the 60+ people I know are sprightly, healthy and look a damned sight younger than my grandparents did at 60. Here are my maternal grandparents at 60 (with my brother Andy who was in the Coldstream Guards).
And here are my paternal grandparents at the same age.


Maybe it's the fashions. Or the hairstyles. Or maybe it's the fact that they had lived through a war. All I know is that they seemed old to me. 

So does that mean that I seem old to young people now? 

Of course it does. 

One of Nature's cruellest tricks is to make our bodies old while our minds stay young. In my head I'm still in my twenties.

Sigh.

Still, I am thankful for what I have. My Dad died when he was just 51 and never saw his 62nd birthday.  And life expectancy now is a far cry from what it was even 100 years ago when it was 67 for men and 74 for women.

Treasure every day.

I do.


And happy birthday to anyone else who shares my birthday today. x


No comments:

Post a Comment