Sunday 15 January 2023

Bags of Shame

There isn't too much that really annoys me these days. 

But this really annoys me.
Why do people do this? I can understand someone hanging it on a tree or fence, going for a walk, and then collecting it on the way back - no one likes carrying it around with them, especially if there's no bin nearby. 

Walt Disney realised this. He noticed that people visiting Disneyland would only carry their own garbage for up to 30 feet. After that, they’d throw it on the ground, figuring that someone else would pick it up. Therefore, Disney theme parks all have litter bins that are a set range of 30 feet from each other.

So, yes, I can understand people not wanting to carry it around with them. But some of the bags that I see on my daily walks have been hanging there for weeks and months. It's just ignorant, inconsiderate and lazy behaviour. If you've taken the time to pick it up, take it to a bin. Or don't bag it up at all.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't always pick up after my dog. Of course, if he drops some dog eggs anywhere near a path or grass verges or anywhere else where people might walk, I bag it up and bin it. But if he visits wild spaces or long grass that no one ever walks through, I leave the stuff there to rot down and do some good. It will simply be joining all the other poop - deer, badger, fox, squirrel, mouse, bird, insect etc. - that gets deposited daily. Oh, and cats. No one goes around picking up after them. 

Similarly, if Harris the Pug leaves some dog toffee next to a hedge or a bramble patch, I flick it into the undergrowth with a stick or, if it's firm enough, the toe of my boot. It'll do more good for the environment like that than putting it in a plastic bag and sending it to landfill. Animal dung can enrich the soil while plastic bags do nothing but harm. 

Flick it or kick it.

Or bag it and bin it.

But don't just leave it hanging there like some weird stinky fruit in non-biodegradable packaging.

Take some responsibility and stop ruining our public spaces.


No comments:

Post a Comment