Thursday 9 February 2023

Goodbye to Bad News

As we say goodbye to the green comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF), it's worth noting that, on this day in 1986, Halley's Comet last appeared in the inner Solar System. 

Halley's visits us every 76-79 years so it was the last time that I will ever see it. And I definitely won't be around to see the green comet again as it won't be back for another 50,000 years.
The only other comet I've experienced in my lifetime was Hale-Bopp (formally designated C/1995 O1) that arrived here in 1997 and was visible to the naked eye for a record 18 months, due to its massive nucleus size. It won't be back for another 4000 years or so.
The sudden appearance of an unexpected comet in the sky has led me to wonder how this fits into Astrology. You'll recall that I asked a similar question a while ago (see here) when I asked why Pluto is a
major player in the art of Horoscopy (even though it was only discovered in 1930) while other objects of similar size, or larger - such as Ceres, Makemake, Haumea and even some of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn - don't. Surely, if Pluto has some influence, don't these others too?

How do unpredictable comets fit into the scheme of things? Historically, they were seen as harbingers of doom; as I'm sure you know, the word disaster means 'evil/bad star' and was coined to describe them.  

I'd genuinely be interested to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment