Saturday 4 February 2023

Rise up! (or 'When I knead you ...')

Do you remember me telling you about my sourdough starter, 'Bubbles', a little while ago (if not see here)? 

Well, Bubbles has developed very well so yesterday I decided to have a go at making my first sourdough loaves. I mixed the ingredients, added my starter and gave it a good old knead for ten minutes. Then I let it prove for a couple of hours.


I then knocked it back and kneaded again before giving it a second prove for another couple of hours. You don't get the same rise with sourdough as you get with other breads but it still grew enough to make and shape two loaves.


Then came the fun part (and the thing that smells so good) - baking. The loaves went into a hot oven for 35 minutes and cooked beautifully.



The texture is a little bit dense but it tastes delicious. The crust is amazing! So I'm more than happy with my first attempt. 

Now I start refining and experimenting to get the perfect texture.

And I'm REALLY looking forward to tomorrow's breakfast toast.


________________________________________________________

Update: It made great toast!





No comments:

Post a Comment