Friday 3 February 2023

St Blaise's Day and the Blessing of the Throats

My throat could do with some blessing right now. 

I'm lucky in that I don't suffer from many colds and I can't remember the last time I had flu. My mother is in her eighties and claims she she hasn't had a cold since 1991 so maybe there's a genetic component? 

So have I picked something up this week? So far all I have is a sore throat, a really annoying cough and a runnier nose than usual but let's see how it develops. Oh, and I tested negative for Covid - three years on and it still hasn't got me yet.
The 3rd February is the feast day of St Blaise, the patron saint of Woolcombers. The saint was also venerated for his aid to sufferers of throat-related illnesses and some churches still offer throat blessings on this day. The most celebrated example of the service is held in London at St Etheldreda’s church in Holborn; two candles are held in the form of a cross to the throat and a blessing is said as the supplicant kneels at the chancel step. 

Maybe I need a trip into London ... 

Or maybe to my native Cornwall because the saint's day is also celebrated in the town of St Blazey (which takes its name from the man).
The event was revived in the early twenty-first century and is going from strength to strength, organised by a host of local groups including the schools, church and Town Council. Lanterns illuminate the dark lanes of the town accompanied by traditional Cornish music and led by the Bishop of Truro together with a local Boy Bishop, before a special Blessing of the Throats service at St Blaise church. This involves the Bishop and Vicar, ably assisted by the Boy Bishop, holding crossed candles up to the throat of each person being blessed and repeating a special prayer. This is followed by Cornish wassailing songs around a tree in the park, hot apple juice or mulled cider and saffron buns.


No comments:

Post a Comment