Monday 4 December 2023

Scenes from an Imaginary Folk Festival - Update

A sixth figure has now been added to the parade - the Dragon Piper

I loosely based the design of this one on the dragon that features in the Hal An Tow, a pageant from my home town of Helston in Cornwall that happens every May 8th. You can watch the whole thing here.
   

And I did make a dragon costume head from waste cardboard earlier this year ...
   

So, I started, as always, with some sketching, followed by making a basic armature of aluminium wire bulked out with kitchen foil.
I then applied a basic cover of white Sculpey Original polymer clay and baked it. Then I started to build up the shape of the body in pink Super Sculpey. 

I then did some work on the head and face. I made the dragon costume head in white Cosclay as it's flexible after baking and will prevent acidental breakage.   

The pipe/horn was made from a bamboo golf tee that I once found. I used my Dremel to hollow out the wide end.
Next I began the (let's be honest) fairly labourious job of covering the body in diamond-shaped scales. They were stuck on using a liquid polymer clay called Sculpey Bake and Bond. I also used a mix of Super Sculpey, which is strong and has a fine surface, and flexible Cosclay which will prevent any protruding scales from snapping off.
Finally, I added hands and feet, painted the whole thing black and then gave it gold highlights. The Dragon Piper was completed.





He/she/they now join my May Parade.
Who will I make next?


No comments:

Post a Comment