Sunday 17 December 2023

Twiggy joins the May Parade

Here's the next character in the May parade - I'm calling him/her/them Twiggy Loghorn (until I come up with a better name). After the complexities involved in creating the previous addition to the artwork - the Carnyx Cart (see here) - it was nice to create a simpler figure this time.

I began with a basic frame of wire and kitchen foil. I then gave it a 'skin' of Original Sculpey. Then I collected a good handful of oak twigs during a dog walk (I should stress that this is all dead wood - nothing was taken from live trees).
After washing and drying the twigs, I cut them up into short lengths and started applying them to the figure using a hot glue gun. 
The head was made from a piece of the cardboard tube from inside a roll of kitchen foil.
I carried on with the twigs until the whole figure was covered. Then I added some beads for eyes and a golf tee for the horn/mouth. 

I used a blowtorch to melt away all of the 'spiderwebs' you get when using hot glue and then coated the whole figure with PVA to stabilise it and prevent any twiggy fraying.

Then I painted it black.
Finally I gave it some gold spray and Twiggy was complete.





No comments:

Post a Comment