Monday 24 April 2023

A new seahorse is born

Back on St Valentine's Day I blogged about some seahorses I'd made from junk and old mobile phone cases (see here). I've made a few more things since then but, in this past week, I've made another seahorse.

The thing about making sculptures from junk is that the model you create is often suggested or inspired by the shapes of the junk you have. While rooting through my supplies boxes for pieces for a different model I came across some bits that said, 'Hey, I look like pieces of a leafy seadragon!' 

And so this happened.



The body was made from plumbing supplies, the body of an old hand blender and some plastic bag clips. I then decided that I didn't like the angular tail so I straightened it out ... during which I accidentally broke off the 'antennae'-type bits. Hey ho. 

I then covered the body in greeblies and sprayed it with black primer.


Then I highlighted it with a gold spray to create a bronze effect.


Then a succession of ink and oil washes to create the illusion of age and tarnishing.

Next job will be to create a mount for it ... plus a few extra tweaks here and there. I', m not happy with the tip of the tail yet ...

Updates when I have them!





No comments:

Post a Comment