Sunday 11 December 2022

Cabinet of Curiosities - Day 11

Here we have some patent Nose-Pickers


I had these made by my friend (and medical prosthetist) Dave Gavin as props to be used on QI. They are based on a genuine patent registered in 2000 by one Charles E Willard of Indiana. 


Dave made several in resin and I painted them. But we also made one in soft silicone rubber as we thought it would be funny to give to Alan Davies. And, true to form, he had a lot of fun with it when we recorded the Nosey Noisy episode.



Yes, I have cleaned the rubber one. 

And no, I haven't tested them myself.

I'm reminded of an old Robbie Coltrane comment about nose-picking: 'If we weren't meant to do it why are our nostrils exactly the right size to accommodate a finger?'

Coltrane also once said this about the popularity of the Australian soap Neighbours, 'Millions of people also pick their nose and eat it but that doesn't make it a good thing.'

Interestingly, research shows that this habit - generally viewed as taboo or disgusting - does little harm as it's simply removing and ingesting the firmer pieces of mucus in the nose. The looser stuff already slides down the throat so you're eating bogies every day anyway.

There's a lovely thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment