Monday 19 September 2022

A small useless potato

I discovered today that, just as the Inuit are alleged to have over a hundred words for 'snow', the Irish seem to have an entire lexicon for the pomme de terre

I'm not fibbing. 

Here are some I've found and I'm sure there are many more: 

Potato - Práta or Fata 

Very big potato - cnaiste fadhbairne 

Very small potato - póirín 

Very tiny potato - paidrín 

Very wet potato - sliomach 

Frostbitten potato - práta seaca 

Frost potato set - scoilteán 

Old withered potato - langán 

Potatoes cooked in embers - luathóg 

Mashed potatoes - brúitín 

Chips/Fries - sceallóga (prátaí) 

New potatoes - prátaí nua or prátaí úra 

Floury potato - práta plúrach 

Boiled potatoes - prátaí bruite 

Roast potatoes - prátaí rósta 

Potato wedges - dingeacha bain or práta ding 

Potato scoop - scúp leathchruinn 

And my personal favourite: 

 A small useless potato - screamhachóir

Just like this shopping bag escapee I spotted recently.
Please don't take me to task over this all you scholars from the Gaeltacht - I don't speak the language and much of this post was drawn from a discussion forum here which I found while looking for some info on an aspect of the Cornish language. 

Don't be a screamhachóir.


No comments:

Post a Comment