Tuesday 13 September 2022

Grassing up the swingers

I spotted this pampas grass yesterday while out walking.
Back in the 1970s and 1980s there was a story that people would plant a pampas grass outside their houses to indicate that they were 'swingers' and wife-swappers. The story - which was an urban myth - became so well known that sales of the plant plummeted. 

However, young homeowners, who are either unconcerned or unaware of the plant’s history are now planting them again as they're low maintenance. 

This one is on open land by the rear garden gate of a house. I wonder whether the octogenarians who live there were a bit friskier 40 years ago?

Elsewhere it was good foraging walk as I spotted a blackthorn absolutely overloaded with sloes and a very bushy hawthorn with plenty of bright red haws.



It was a good day for fungus too. I spotted Jelly Ears, a huddle of Glistening Inkcaps, a Willow Shield (also known as a Knackers Crumpet!) and a small Chicken of the Woods. 

In fact it's my third Chicken in a month, which is extraordinary. Sometimes you can go years without seeing even one.
Having recently met a personal goal of being able to identify every type of tree growing in my local woods and meadows, I'm now working on the fungus. 

It's going to take time. My knowledge is pretty good but there are so many! 

Slow and steady and, most importantly, safely.

That's the plan.



No comments:

Post a Comment