Saturday 17 September 2022

Weaving with withies, briars and rods

When I was back in my native Cornwall a few weeks agok, my photographer brother Si showed me some photos from a project he's working on that involves people who are desperately trying to keep old crafts alive. 

One such was this chap - the very last person in Cornwall who makes creels and lobster pots from willow (apologies for the quality - it's a photo of a photo).
The sad thing about the loss of this craft is that there's no more demand. The plastic variety is so much cheaper and, in a cash-strapped industry like fishing, people simply can't afford to buy the hand-made biodegradable version any more.

Seeing this image reminded me of my grandmother who could weave trugs and baskets from willow 'withies', hazel rods and bramble. She used to split the bramble runners - once they had been cleared of thorns - and then soak them in seawater or brined tap water for a few days. The briars then became tough and leather-like and were used for the bindings. 

To be honest, I never saw her make a whole basket from start to finish but I did see her repairing broken ones and the new green woven patches added some interest to an otherwise dull-looking basket. A bit like a plant-based kintsugi I guess. 

So I was delighted to see that one of my favourite Youtube channels covered this subject today. The Atomic Shrimp channel gets involved in many things that interest me - food, foraging, local history and old crafts. It's an utter joy to watch. And this episode is no exception.
   

Interestingly, there's an old episode of Jack Hargreaves' wonderful TV series Out of Town where a man makes a traditional beehive or 'skep' using straw and the salted bramble briar technique.
   

Interesting, eh? 

Do go visit Atomic Shrimp's channel here

It really is excellent.


No comments:

Post a Comment