Monday 5 September 2022

Return of the green

After two months with pretty much no rain, the heavens finally opened this week and last night we had thunderstorms here in South Bucks.
I live on top of the Chiltern Hills and the weather always seems to go around us, despite what we see on the forecasts. During the last eight or nine weeks we were told we'd have rain several times but, while it did rain in the valley in nearby High Wycombe (3 miles away), we got a few spots at best here. My garden and the fields and meadows around where I live have grown dry, brown and straw-like. It's been a tough time for the wildlife, especially the amphibians as many of their damp areas and dewponds have dried up. Even a few chalk streams have disappeared.
Just compare that with the same fields back in May.
As much as I've really enjoyed the sunshine, it's nice to see the world coming back to life. 

I've missed the green.


No comments:

Post a Comment