Thursday 8 September 2022

The die-back marches on

Back in July I wrote about the awful disease known as 'ash die-back' and how it's threatening to kill off the majority of ash trees in the UK (read it here). And today I found evidence that it's in the fields and meadows where I regularly walk my dog. There are quite a few ash trees around and one particular meadow has small groups of them and something like an avenue. It's lovely to walk through, especially in early morning or evening when the straight trunks cast beautiful long shadows.

   
However, I've noticed that quite a few of these lovely trees are already devoid of leaves and those that have foliage look sickly and unhealthy - all the signs of ash die-back.





The majority of the trees here look okay at the moment but who knows how quickly it will spread and how far?

It's all very sad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment