Wednesday 3 May 2023

For the love of gadgets

I love mechanical gadgets. 

Electronics and computers leave me cold but anything involving flywheels, pistons, rods and cogwheels makes me happy. When they are combined to make something that is needlessly complicated and purely for our entertainment, I become ecstatic. 

It's why I'm such a massive fan of automata and work by people like Paul Spooner and the late, great Keith Newstead.
   


Of course, this humorous mechanical madness is not confined to three dimensions. For decades we've been amused by artists like W Heath Robinson, Rube Goldberg and, in the modern age, Andy Riley.
I build a lot of things from junk and other reusable or rescued materials. So maybe the time has come to try animating some of them? 

It's a thought ...


No comments:

Post a Comment